I have just recently discovered the wonder that is grilled cheese and avocado sandwiches and have to share! They’re super healthy (but feel indulgent too) and easy to make! Did you know that “Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. They also act as a “nutrient booster” by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.” (source California Avocado Commission) – plus cheese is packed with protein and calcium!
You’ll need -
- some bread, preferably a nice sort, and could also be a nice roll/ciabatta etc
- one ripe avocado
- cheese – I used some cheddar and some mozzarella, its also great with all cheddar, or you can substitute with your favourite cheese
First, peel and mash your avocado, adding seasoning and a dash of lemon or lime juice – don’t go too crazy – it tastes better when it still has lumps (like guacamole) than being the consistency of baby food.
Now, toast your bread lightly in the toaster and spread out your cheese on one half. Pop that half under the grill to get all melty.
While that’s happening, spread your other slice of bread with avocado.
Sandwich together and enjoy your nutritious lunch/snack/summer dinner!
- Delicious Avocado & Cherry Tomato Salad (in Polish: Smakowita salatka z avocado i pomidorkami koktajlowymi) (iamdelicious.typepad.com)
- I Have Become A HUGE Fan Of The Avocado (teamkickinit.wordpress.com)
- How To Make An Avocado BLT (uniquedaily.com)