At last summer has arrived in the UK to the joy of a very damp population! As we finally begin to dry out (and actually have to water the garden rather than having mother nature take care of it), I’ve been thinking a lot about ways to make the most of it.
So, with autumn/winter fashion already in the shops – how can we squeeze maximum enjoyment, fun and relaxation from every last beam of sunshine before summer is over?
Here are a few ideas
- Go crazy on fresh fruit and veg - Nothing screams summer like fresh juicy peaches, strawberries, watermelon and more. While the weather’s hot, I find myself craving healthy foods so make the most of it! Oh, and don’t forget to indulge in lots of ice lollies too!
- Make plans! Especially last minute plans – If the sun is shining, shelve your plans to clean the kitchen or hit the gym (come on!) and throw a barbeque or go for a long walk in the evening sun. Your kitchen can stay untidy for a little longer, so seize the day and get out there!
- Stay protected – Sorry to sound like everyone’s Mum, but don’t forget to protect yourself! Stay out of the sun if you can between 12 and 3, and use a high factor suncream on your face and neck (use one 365 days of the year if you really want to avoid wrinkles and pigmentation – and trust me, you want to). Rebecca from Florence Finds posted some great facial sunscreen options today.
- Get outside - We all spend enough of the day indoors at work, so exploit the weather by heading outside to eat, read, nap, spruce up your garden… pretty much anything you can do inside!
- Be a tourist - No matter where you live, I’m sure there are unexplored nooks and crannies waiting for you to enjoy them – try asking friends for recommendations or just go back to old favourites bars and restaurants and hang out in the park. Or why not take a day trip on the train or bus?
- Channel your inner child - Head to a water or theme park, or just play frisbee/board games in the park.
What are your tips for making the most of the season, readers? I’d really like to hear them!
Images from my Summer board on Pinterest