For my easy healthy dinners this week I’m going a little bit off piste – to salad! Okay, I know everyone in the world (probably) already knows how to make salad, but I’m going to tell you how to make delicious homemade salad dressing to perk up any salad combo. What’s that you say – why would you make homemade salad dressing when you can buy it in t’shops? Well, as is usually the case, homemade tastes better and is much cheaper (and probably better for you too as it only contains natural ingredients). Its an essential life skill so pay attentions!
You’ll need the following things
- olive oil (I use a mild olive oil, if yours is more strongly flavoured, you can use half olive and half sunflower oil)
- white wine or red wine vinegar (or champagne vinegar or cider vinegar if you’re FANCY)
- salt and pepper
And the dressing I made also had these
- Dijon mustard
Its super duper easy! Just mix one part vinegar to three parts oil and mix. Add your extras and season. Its ready to go! I shook my dressing up in an empty jar which means you can just put the lid on and store the extra dressing in the fridge until you want to use it. Eat with a salad made from anything and everything in your fridge for a very quick and easy meal!
To serve, just pour over your salad!
Here are some other yummy salad dressing variations – strange as it sounds there is literally now way you can go wrong with salad dressing. If you make one that tastes a little too pungent, add some sour cream, natural yoghurt or honey to increase its creaminess/sweetness.
- Lemon pepper salad dressing – Mix together 1 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp white wine vinegar, 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice and a grating of lemon zest. Add 1 tsp crushed pepper, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar
- Italian salad dressing – Mix 3 tablespoons olive oil with one white wine vinegar. Add salt, pepper and plenty of freshly chopped basil
- Creamy salad dressing – Mix half cup natural yoghurt, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 to 2 cloves garlic, grated, 2 ½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice and 3 tablespoons water
- Mustard and honey salad dressing – Mix together 4 tbsp sunflower oil/olive oil with 2 tbsp lemon juice. Add 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp dijon mustard and a pinch of salt
- Homemade Mustard Vinaigrette (thetalkingkitchen.com)
- Healthy Recipe: Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette (fitsugar.com)
- Trouble Eating Your Greens? Try Avocado Basil Dressing (fitsugar.com)